Contact Us Online

Social Media Karp Law Blog Twitter Facebook

Florida Medicaid Benefits Application: Documents Required to Apply

Florida Medicaid requires a large amount of documentation to determine whether an applicant will be approved for long-term care nursing home benefits.  If the Medicaid applicant is married, the documentation is required for both the Medicaid applicant and the Medicaid applicant's spouse. If you are downsizing your home or if you are an adult child helping to organize your parents, these items should be preserved!

Updated June 2017

Verification of all active savings accounts, checking accounts, CDs, stocks, bonds, IRAs, annuities, brokerage/investment accounts, etc.

  • Monthly statements for the past five (5) years.
  • Statements for all accounts that have been opened or closed within the applicable time period.
  • Copies of all checks written in the amount of $500.00 or more for the last five (5) years.
  • For annuities: full contract OR statement reflecting the purchase date, current value, surrender value, and death benefit.

Social Security card, Medicare card, Photo ID, Supplemental or Medicare HMO card, and Medicare D card.

Supplemental Health Insurance Premium Statement: If there is a community spouse, the premium statements must reflect how much is being paid by the applicant and how much is being paid by the spouse.

Income Verification Letter from Social Security. This is a letter from Social Security verifying the amount of the applicant's Social Security income. If you do not have the one sent to you, it may be obtained by calling he Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 (be sure to speak with a representative - do not leave a message on a recorder). The letter may also be obtained at:

Verification of date of birth. Birth certificate is usually best. If birth certificate is not available, written verification of birth date may be obtained upon request from the Social Security Administration. 

Proof of citizenship. Required only if the applicant was born outside the U.S.

Verification of pension income. All pension income must be verified from the source. Check stubs are sufficient when they reflect the gross amount received. You must provide a letter directly from the pension provider that verifies the gross, net, and any anticipated changes in the pension (such as whether the pension is fixed or if payment may vary).

Verification of gross monthly income from any other source. Letter directly from the source must be provided.

All insurance policies and insurance cards (copies). Life, accident, health, long-term care, home health care. If there is a life insurance policy, provide information from company verifying cash surrender value, if any.

Copies of guardianship or power of attorney papers, copy of last will, copy of trust.

Income tax returns (including 1099's) for the last five (5) years.

Car registration or title, and automobile insurance policy or proof of insurance card.

Copy of deed for any property owned, including homestead, and most recent property tax bill.

If any real property has been sold or transferred in the past five (5) years:

  • Copies of all transactional papers.
  • Two (2) verifications of fair market value, which may be an appraisal or a letter from a realtor.
  • Property tax bill reflecting property's value at the time of sale.

Burial arrangements. Copies of any purchase or agreements or any prepaid funeral contracts and/pr cemetery or mausoleum plots, etc.

If applicant or spouse is a veteran, V.A. discharge papers (DD214), and copies of marriage certificates for all marriages. If applicant is the widow of a veteran, death certificate of the spouse.